Friday, February 22, 2008

Home-Making ~ by J.R. Miller



I wrote this review for my church newsletter which I hope explains its brevity and broadness. I wish I had time to do this blessed book more justice, but for now, I simply do not. I will add two things:

1. I am not exaggerating when I say this is the best book I have ever read.

2. It makes an excellent wedding present. I doubt I will ever give anything else.

I heartily recommend Home-Making by J.R. Miller to anyone who is a part of a family! Yes, that is everybody! Do not be misled by the title or the cover. This is not a book written only for wives and mothers. All members of a Christian home – fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, husbands, and wives will be blessed, encouraged, sharpened, and challenged by a reading of this book.


Miller begins his book with a chapter on what the calls "The Wedded Life" which is the very bedrock of the family. He then devotes a chapter to each role in every family. There is a chapter directed to the husband, the wife, the parents, the children, and a chapter on the special relationship between brothers and sisters.


In each of these chapters Miller describes with beauty and eloquence what it looks like when Christians live out the sweet sacrifice of Christ daily in the most important place on earth – the home. The final chapters of the book are spent on more comprehensive topics such as the home life and religion in the home.


I hope you will be as inspired by this lovely book as I have been.



"You know what a true home ought to be. It ought to be a place where love rules. It ought to be beautiful, bright, joyous, full of tenderness and affection; a place in which all are growing happier and better each day."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Jenny-Lynn. I am rereading this now after purchasing it from your first quote on this blog. I love it love it love it and want to quote it all the time, except I would never stop and very well may end up putting the entire book in the quote. So, I just recommend it now. : ) Thanks so much for the introduction. I am also giving it to every person I know who is in a family. So, every person I know. Hope things are well with you!

Katy said...

I could *not* agree with you more! I absolutely LOVE this book! It is such a treasure! I wish this was required reading for everyone! ;0)

Warmly,
Katy